The Sweet Science of Bruising
By Joy Wilkinson | Directed By Julia Head
Image Design by Myles Marshall
This isn’t a proper match, Polly. Think of it more like a dance. You learn the steps, then talent and practice make it look natural.
I don’t want to be a dancer. I want to be a fighter.
Pugilism, punch bags and… petticoats?
In the fierce underbelly of London’s boxing scene, surrounded by smoke, bowler-hats and bare-knuckle boys, four women controlled by men and constrained by corsets find an unexpected
freedom in the ropes of the boxing ring.
The Sweet Science of Bruising is Wilkinson’s bold exploration of suffrage and silence, of politics and power and of flight and fight. It invites you to consider what you’re willing to win, or lose.
This amateur production is presented by arrangement with Nick Hern Books.
- Thursday 19th May: 7.30pm
- Friday 20th May: 7.30pm
- Saturday 21st May: 7.30pm
Showing: 19/05/2022 - 21/05/2022
Time: 7:30 pm
Adults £12 / Concessions £10
Stalls Seating: Please note stalls seating for this production is unreserved. Immersive seating allocated on arrival, balcony seating is standard reserved seating.
Creative & Production Team:
- Director – Julia Head
- Associate Director – Krista Matthews
- Movement & Fight Director – Maisie Carter
- Set & Costume Designer – Cat Fuller
- Lighting Designer – Joe Price
- Sound Composer & Designer – Jack Orozco Morrison
- Production Manager – Lisa Hall
- Stage Manager – Sophie Thompson-Gray
- Deputy Stage Manager – James Lisk
- Assistant Stage Manager – Kaylun Jones (Student)
- Costume Supervisor – Jo Lewis
- Costume Assistants: Tara Boland, Lucy Howarth, Immy Howarth & J Marshman (Student)
- Producers – Laura Knight & James Moore
- Assistant Producer – James Creed
- Workshop Assistant – Toby Mitchell